With many people suffering from IBS, or experiencing symptoms that replicate those experienced in IBS, I thought it would make sense to provide you with a friendly IBS diet.

I have outlined below the foods that are typically problematic in IBS and provided some suitable alternatives to try and help those that are in need of some guidance know which foods to select or avoid to help manage their symptoms.

Our products at Goodness Superfoods do not contain wheat, and are a source of resistant starch. Resistant starch plays an important role and improving your gut health as it selectively increases the good bacteria in your gut, and decreases the bad bacteria in your gut, leaving you with a stronger immune system and less likely to experience the pain associated with eating a grain based food. Check out also this delicious hummus recipe to increase your resistant starch intake.

There are a number of common triggers for symptoms in people who suffer from IBS. The table below outlines some of the major contributors and provides you with a list of suitable alternatives to include in your friendly IBS diet.

Goodness Superfoods: Foods to avoid with IBS

I hope that you find this information useful and can implement some of these IBS friendly diet tips into your eating plan to ensure that you do not experience the negative effects of IBS.

Related posts:

Tagged with:

6 Responses to IBS: common triggers of irritable bowl syndrome and suitable alternatives

1. Paula Queensland says:

I think Stress should have been at the top of your list, not at the bottom. I find I can eat a lot of the things on the list with no problems but when stress is involved, whether I acknowledge the stress or not, then I have problems. If we can overcome stress our lives would be free from health problems.

“Don’t Worry Be Happy” was a good phrase.

2. Suzanne, Adelaide says:

Hi,
    I love this cereal and have had IBS my whole life. I have been eating it for 2 weeks now.
    I have found that I am no longer constipated, but I have really BAD stomache pains and wind at night time. Just wondering if you have any suggestions.
    I am using the “digestive” cereal.
    Regards
    Suz

• Martina says:

Hi Suz, glad to hear you love our cereal and it helps with your IBS. Sometimes the high fibre content of our cereals can cause mild tummy problems which should go away after your body is used to it. In your case I would suggest introducing the cereal in small doses to your system and gradually increasing the portion size until you reached the recommended serving size of 35g. Drinking plenty of water and some gentle daily exercise may also help. Let me know how you get on with it!

3. Fiona says:

I wanted to let you know how this cereal has changed my life. I suffer from constipation predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome, however to add insult to injury, eating some types of fibre can worsen my symptoms. Getting enough fibre was a constant struggle. I started eating the Protein 1st cereal a couple of weeks ago and I will never look back. Whilst I am not cured, the constipation part of my condition is now a thing of the past and my symptoms in general are greatly reduced. I cannot express my gratitude in words to yourselves and the CSIRO.

• Suzanne says:

Hi Fiona,
      Good to hear that your health has improved so well! Thank you very much for your cheering words on the Goodness Superfoods Protein 1st cereal.
      We will share your positive experience with all members of the Goodness Superfoods team. We hope you will continue to benefit from our product!

4. Shel says:

I call IBS= Its the BS Disease., if you know what I mean.. Its just a label given because if a doctor doesn’t see anything on film, they throw up their hands, give you pills, that really do nothing, except put the problem in a dormant faze and usually bring on other problems. This is the first time I have seen what you should and should not eat. I mean, I know what one shouldn’t eat already but the fact that it was there in front of me, helped a great deal. I have now start taking digestive enzymes after every meal and to that, I am adding Barley Max capsules. I ordered them today and I have heard wonderful reviews. Good luck to all of us who have this horrible problem.. I refuse to call it disease!